Tuesday, June 15, 2010

World Cup win a cherished dream: Tendulkar

,
India's master batsman Sachin Tendulkar on Monday said that while winning a World Cup is a dream, one should not get carried away and focus on one step at a time.

"You have to start on the ground floor and you can't jump straight to the 50th. So let's not get carried away. One floor at a time, one game at a time. It would be a great achievement and the country is dreaming about it. Actually, I am dreaming about it as well. What can I say? If we can play to our potential we can really get there."

Sachin was speaking at a function in London to mark NatWest's 30 years of cricket sponsorship in England.

When asked how long would he play, Sachin said: "At the moment I am just thinking about my next Test match, I am looking to play against Sri Lanka starting July 17. The answer is that I really don't know. As long as possible, I hope, as long as the desire and hunger is there. The day I wake up and decide I want to stay in bed that is the day to change direction."

Living up to the expectations of a billion Indians is never an easy task and Sachin has been doing it for last 20 years with ultimate sincerity, success and grace. Sachin said the key to his success was that he always thought about his own expectations.

"It is difficult to live with the expectations other people have for me, so I think about my own expectations instead. I have always set targets for myself. There are always butterflies in my stomach every time I walk to the ground and they are good companions to have. They show I still care about cricket as much as ever, that I am ready to play. Even in exhibition matches, I am nervous when I go out. That is how my body prepares. When those butterflies are gone, I know it will be time for me to go too," Sachin said.

Part of the Test side which is currently the world number one in ICC rankings, Tendulkar said the tough part was not to get there but would be to maintain it.

"To be number one is special, it was our dream and our target to get to the number one spot in Test cricket," he said.

"We have had a good run in the last 20 months. Everyone wants to be number one and we cannot relax because there are other countries who want to be number one. It means a lot to us," he added.

Nagchinna. Powered by Blogger.
 

News India24 Copyright © 2010 -- Posted by Nag chinna Shortfilmsreviews -- Author Nag chinna